• Design Engineering
• Experience as a Design Engineer from a sheet metal background
- Salary: £30,000 - £35,000
- Location: North West, Oldham
Our client is a successful sheet metal fabricator based in Oldham, Greater Manchester. Established in 1970 they now employ over 70 full time members of staff and have a turnover of £5 million plus. The Company operates from a modern 33,000sqft manufacturing site complete with the very best modern sheet metal machinery. Due to recent growth – and an additional forecasted growth of 30% over the next 2 years – the Company now requires an experienced Design Engineer to join their busy and diverse team. The role holder will be responsible for the design, drawing and development of new products as well as maintenance of existing products.
You will contribute to the Company’s success by assisting the Managing Director in matters relating to product development, value engineering and real time solving of production problems. Furthermore, they will be proactive and efficient whilst keeping a close eye on costs. This is a permanent opportunity based in Oldham, Greater Manchester. Our client is offering a competitive salary between £30,000 and £35,000 per annum and the chance of future career prospects.
Duties will include:
- Carrying out the design process and development for both new and existing products
- To supervise and oversee the designs through the factory, ensuring accuracy and quality
- To be responsible for preparing bills of materials for the manufacture of the designs and assemblies, including documenting of all part numbers and drawing references
- To liaise with shop floor supervisors to point out potential quality issues through production
- To create reports for potential pitfalls within the production process
- Interpreting customer ideas and preparing drawings and 3D models for manufacture, including all dimensions, tolerances, finishes and notes
- Assisting Senior Management with matters relating to product development
- To identify opportunities to reduce costs in the design, materials used and manufacturing techniques
- To provide feedback for continuous improvement of products and services
As this is a specialised design role, it is ideally suited for an experienced Design Engineer from a sheet metal background. Furthermore, it is required that you are fully conversant with SolidWorks, specifically the sheet metal module and has proven experience of using this within a sheet metal environment. You must be able to practice good interpersonal skills to successfully liaise with shop floor supervisors. You must be able to recognise potential quality issues through production and indicate these to the supervisors. Experience with creating reports to outline production pitfalls would also be a distinct advantage as well as experience with creating bills of materials.