- Experience: A first degree in Civil Engineering, Engineering Geology or other disciplines combined with suitable experience.
A Master in Foundation Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering or Soil Mechanics (Advantage).
Aiming to shortly become a Chartered Engineer with the ICE or a Chartered Geologist with the GeolSoc.
- Location: North East, Hartlepool
Our client is a medium sized civil engineering company with five offices located around the UK. You would be responsible for delivering geotechnical and geo-environmental assessments and design, from desk study through to construction. This would include assisting with all elements of geotechnical design/construction issues, providing technical input within that field as part of a multi-disciplinary team, or working separately on particular aspects of geotechnical design/construction, providing advice to the civils team & clients. There would also be the need to assist with bids with technical and other input.
To be considered for this role, you will have:
- A first degree in Civil Engineering, Engineering Geology or other disciplines combined with suitable experience
- A Master in Foundation Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering or Soil Mechanics (Advantage)
- Aiming to shortly become a Chartered Engineer with the ICE or a Chartered Geologist with the GeolSoc
Required Technical Skills
- Able to prepare Desk Study reports and Mining Risk Assessments
- Design and supervision of ground investigations, organising fieldwork, direction of sub-contractors
- Familiarity with all ground investigation techniques
- Logging of soils/rocks to BS5930 / EC7
- Use of geotechnical databases, such as HoleBASE
- Use of slope stability applications, such as SLIDE or SLOPE/W
- Interpretative reporting, including bearing capacity, settlement, pavement design, and foundations
- Experience of working with other disciplines (civil, structural, environmental).
- Appreciation of financials aspects of projects, ability to prepare fee proposals, and able to support others in fee bids.
Desirable Technical Skills
- Design of piles, soil nails, ground anchors, retaining walls, slope stabilisation, dewatering, reinforced soil, surcharge schemes, etc.
- Familiarity with analytical software such as EA R&D 20, RBCA, CLEA to derive site specific thresholds and clean-up criteria
- Familiar with Phase 1 and 2 assessments
- Understanding of the Source-Pathway-Receptor methodology
- An awareness of appropriate remedial strategies and options including process-based methods
- Negotiations with local authorities and agencies
- Supervision of remedial works
- Validation work and associated reporting
- Able to check others work
- Working hours 37.5 hours per week (flexible)
- 23 days holiday (increasing to 24 days from Jan 2016)
- Pension – Our client will contribute 4.5% of basic salary with a minimum contribution of 2% by employee, following the 6 months probationary period
- Private Health Care scheme, following 6 month probationary period
- Life Insurance scheme at 4 x your annual salary